NATIONAL CERTIFICATION PREFERRED: CMI (Certified Medical Interpreter) from National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters or CHI (Certified Healthcare Interpreter) from Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters preferred
JOB SUMMARY: Provides language interpretation for limited English proficient patients and families in patient care areas.
Serves as an interpreter for Limited English Proficient (LEP) patients and families, thus facilitating understanding in communication between people who are speaking different languages.
Adheres to the NCIHC Standards of Practice for Interpreters in Health Care and National Code of Ethics for Interpreters in Healthcare and the IMIA Medical Interpreters Standards of Practice, Code of Ethics and Guide on Medical Interpreter Ethical Conduct.
Interprets for patients and providers in the Clinics and Hospitals via onsite, the telephone or video remote interpreting (VRI).
Advocates on behalf of the medical center and patient by carefully balancing the ethics of patient autonomy and impartiality with need for supporting patient care and well being by intervening to make suggestions to provider as appropriate regarding patient care, accessibility to services and other patient needs.
Provides accurate and complete translation and /or proofreading assistance to staff translator and program coordinator as appropriate and requested.
Understands the cultures associated with the languages he or she interprets, including biomedical culture.
Contributes to the organization by actively participating in process improvement initiatives and shared decision making.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
LANGUAGE TRANSLATION (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates the uppermost levels of expertise in language translation in challenging and complex situations. Displays the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, and interpretations. Often takes a lead role in highly pressurized situations when there is a need to achieve results. Consistently delivers translation results in a creative and imaginative manner while setting a standard for others.
LISTENING (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates excellence in listening and often requested by others to summarize and interpret what transpired at meetings and during conversations. Demonstrates reflective listening by using phrases such as Do I hear you saying....?? or It sounds like.... Perseveres until all key points are explained. Always gives speakers the feeling of comfort and interest, focusing intently on the subject. Formulates responses and draws conclusions only after speakers are finished.
PATIENT RIGHTS (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate patient rights in practical applications of moderate difficulty.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.
Maryland Psychological Association (MPA) is the statewide professional association for Maryland psychologists, supporting the psychologists in Maryland in advancing the science and practice of psychology for the health and welfare of the public. MPA educates about psychology and mental health, and promotes psychological science and practice. Find a local psychologist with our free referral service.